The egg salad was a hit! Unfortunately I wasn't around to witness it; my summer sand volleyball team was in the playoffs that night with a double header (we won our division!) and I missed the whole event.
But she said that everyone loved the food. I actually got a call from a Saint Mark member who wanted the egg salad recipe. I offered to write it down and bring it to church on Sunday and he said "Oh Emily, I don't think that will be soon enough." He wanted to make a batch that afternoon! So, I scaled the recipe down and brought the recipe and a dozen eggs over to his house.
If any of you are itching for a scaled down version of the recipe, here you go:
Makes: About 6–8 sandwiches
- 12 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- ¾ cup mayonnaise (I used Hellman's)
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish (drained if very watery), I added a little more for extra tang
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- ⅓–½ cup finely diced celery
- ½–¾ teaspoon salt (start with ½ and adjust)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
The garden might be slow, but I was able to harvest some herbs. I've heard that freeze drying herbs is super easy and has a great result, so I popped these leaves in the freeze dryer.
Basil, sage, and bay leaves.
The freeze dryer app said to skip the prefreeze and have them dried at a lower temperature (95 degrees), so I adjusted the settings.
I only put the three trays in. Mistake. The machine has sensors in all four tray areas to detect doneness, so when I don't have a fourth tray, it messes up the machines sensors and it doesn't actually recognize when the items are dry. Of course I found that out after the fact.
When I took the trays out, some of the leaves were completely dry and others were still filled with moisture.
I left the ones that needed more time out to air dry and put the dried leaves in glass jars.
I'll try freeze drying herbs again when there are more herbs to harvest!


No comments:
Post a Comment