Thursday, August 27, 2026

Freshly Milled Flour

I finally got around to milling the three different grains we purchased for home milled flour. 

Hard red and hard white- used in baked goods with yeast. Soft white- used in baked goods with baking soda or powder. 

Freshly milled flour lasts about a week at room temp, two months in the fridge, and six months in the freezer (freshness and nutrient quality). For ease of use, I ground a half gallon worth each and currently store them in the fridge. The whole berries are in the pantry in glass jars, and the rest of the bulk bags are in the fruit room under the stairs. 


Using them is going to take some adjustments. I made a roux for homemade chicken wild rice soup. The soup was fantastic. Definitely saving that recipe. The milled flour wasn't noticeable. 


I made a batch of carrot zucchini muffins, and you can definitely tell the flour is different. They're very crumbly and have a grainy texture. I should probably sift the flour or grind it a second time to get it finer. 

I also made a pie crust for pastie pie. So hard to roll out!!! Worse than the gluten free crust! Sticky and crumbly. 

You'll notice I attempted the cookie cutter top crust again. My flowers are blobs this time. (And I ran out of dough.) 😜


Everywhere I've read says that freshly milled flour is more absorbent and you'll need to increase the water. I only found that to be true with the muffins. They also say that the batter/dough need time to rest so the gluten can relax/absorb the liquid/do it's thing. I definitely didn't do that with the pie crust, so that's probably part of my issue. 

I feel very torn right now because I have favorite recipes that work very well with regular flour; it would be easy to stick with them and give up on the home milling. But I want to give freshly milled flour a chance and fix some of the errors I no doubt am doing. I should probably find someone who's been baking with this kind of flour for a long time and ask them to teach me their ways...

No comments:

Post a Comment