Monday, August 3, 2026

Unripe Plums - Pickles

Even after all the syrup making, I still had unripe plums to work with. I found this recipe for pickled plums. Very simple and sounds like something I'd enjoy. 

I weighed the plums, scoring them as I put them in the jar. Then I figured out what 7% of the weight was and put in the equivalent grams of salt. I didn't have any star anise, but I did have whole coriander, so I put in about one tablespoon. Cover with slightly cooled boiled water and once it's completely cooled, store in the fridge for one week. Then they're ready! 


I am a little concerned that the salt I put in didn't dissolve all the way. I used a kettle of tea water I had heated in the morning but forgot to make tea with it. 😅 It was warm when I poured it in, but not anywhere close to hot. But chat gpt says it should be fine and the salt will even out over time. 🤷‍♀️ 

Before I moved it to the fridge, I added a glass fermentation weight just to keep the plums under the water. 

We'll see how they taste in one week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment