Friday, August 7, 2026

Thistle War

I'm pleased to report we are winning our war against the thistles. In the pasture at least. 

Last year we had tons of thistles in this area. G went out many times to cut the flowers off before they turned to seed. The thistles put so much energy into producing flowers, they don't make it over winter, or so the experts say. 


This year, there's clover and grasses. It worked! Jaron and I checked it the other day and were pleased to see just a few. We did chop off the thistle flowers we saw, much to Jaron's delight. "Chop!"

The battle in our garden continues however. The worst corner with thistles looks better, but thistles are popping through the mulch/cardboard. Again, we made sure to chop the flowers off. 

Another potential issue is that the chickens found the garden... 

They've been seen crawling under the garden gate. That's an easy fix. But I'm not sure if they're hopping over the chicken wire too. That will take more work. 

So far the chickens have just scratched around the mulch and pecked a couple peppers. But if they decide to go to town on the rest of our veggies, that will be a major issue. 

Never underestimate your animals is our unofficial motto. I guess that means I better fix the fence. 😅

No comments:

Post a Comment