Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Unripe Apple Pectin

Apparently, it's a bumper year for apples. One of our young apple trees had a couple of branches loaded with apples. G asked me if I thought he should prop those branches up so they wouldn't break. I said no, the tree should be able to tell it's weighted down and shore up its own branches. 

Well, I should've listened to G. 

The two heaviest branches broke. ☹️ There are still apples on the tree, so all is not lost. But we did lose a decent chunk. With unripe plums on the brain, I wondered if I could put the unripe apples to use too... 

Some I have in the fridge to bake a pie. The rest I turned into apple pectin. 

Super easy recipe. Coarsly chop the apples, leaving the skins and cores. Put in a pot with just enough water to cover the apples and cook for one hour. 

Strain through a cheesecloth without squeezing. 

Let it rest overnight. Then reduce the strained liquid by half.

And boom, your pectin is ready. You can freeze it or can it for later use. Mine is in the freezer. TBD what I'll use it with...

No comments:

Post a Comment