Friday, August 14, 2026

4H Judging

I judged two county fairs earlier this week, which also contributed to my delays in posting. Oftentimes I judge not-as-popular categories and have a bunch of down time between 4Hers, but both of these fairs kept me busy pretty much the whole time! 

The first was in my home county. I always like judging there because I recognize a lot of the families; a bunch are children of people I was in 4-H with. That and the Murray county fair is one of the best fairs in the state of Minnesota. 😉

Originally, I was going to judge a completely different category. But the 4-H coordinator was having trouble finding someone willing to judge eggs, and she asked me to switch. I figured I could handle that with all the eggs that we've been handling on our homestead, so I said yes. I ended up judging flower gardening (individual flowers and arrangements), indoor gardening (potted plants and fairy gardens), largest vegetable (exactly what it sounds like), vegetable box (a collection of six kinds of veggies with multiples of each veggie, quantity determined by size of produce), vegetable plate (one large or three medium or 6-10 small), fruits (only one 4Her came), herbs (also one entry), and eggs (brown and white... many entries). 

As you can imagine, with all those categories I was kept quite busy. There were a lot of scratches, which are canceled entries. You sign up for how many projects you're taking in May and there's no way to know how your garden will turn out at that point. A bunch of people said that their flowers didn't grow because of the heat. Others said that their "insert vegetable here" didn't grow because of the rain/sun/bugs. So. It's a tough category to do well. 

I've judged flower and indoor gardening before, but never vegetable gardening. It took a couple of 4Hers for me to feel comfortable with the category. The veggie judging was pretty easy once I figured out the requirements. If their items looked uniform, they got a decent ribbon. 

Egg judging was also fairly simple. Make sure the eggs look uniform, don't have bumps on the shells, aren't cracked. You would be surprised how many cartons had a cracked egg in there. I brought along a mini flashlight so I could candle eggs, and I showed quite a few 4Hers their subtly cracked eggs. Hard to argue when you can see the crack lit up through the shell. One boy was absolutely devastated when I pointed out his cracked egg. He had gone through three buckets of eggs to find the perfect ones for the fair. I asked if he lived close to the fair... maybe he could switch it out. He didn't, but he remembered his dad was still at home. He called his dad and said, "Bring every egg we have!" I had him get out of line so I could keep judging and eventually he returned with a full dozen plus one more just in case. I gave him a purple ribbon for commitment to quality. 

You would also be surprised how many people didn't know how to properly store eggs. Eggs should always be stored with the pointy end down. The air sac is on the wide end and that should be up to let the egg last longer. Imagine you put a balloon at the bottom of your laundry basket. What would happen when you put clothes on top? That's what happens when your egg is upside down in the carton; the pressure on the airsac reduces the egg quality much quicker. 

Picking champion and reserve eggs was difficult. There were a lot of beautiful eggs. In the end, I went with the biggest, most uniform eggs, where the 4Her knew about pointy side down and had a good interview. 

The next day, I judged in Nicollet County and did my favorite category- Food and Nutrition. I also judged the most stressful category- Food Preservation. Why so stressful? The rulebook says that 4Hers have to use an approved recipe from one of the three canning/preserving sites for food safety, and a large quantity of entries don't. They bring family recipes and then I have to break their hearts by giving them a lesser ribbon. In the past, I've had to deal with angry parents who didn't read the rule book, and kids crying because their project got a red ribbon. I've also had kids who knew the rules and brought their family recipe anyway. I appreciate the confidence of those kids. But I also wish they'd lead their interview with, "I know this is a non-approved recipe..." so I don't have to worry about how to tell them.

Anyway, judging went very well aside from sugar overload from eating so many sweet things. A couple 4Hers brought savory things, but those were few and far between. I did take pictures of two recipes I'd like to try myself. 

So tiny, almondy, and chewy and crunchy at the same time. Delightful.


Tastes like fudgy box mix brownies.


One recipe I didn't take a picture of, but is still intriguing me is cloud cake. Ever heard of it? It's cake but lightly sweet and with a slightly eggy texture. It's fascinating. I think this is the recipe he used. Maybe I'll make that one someday too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment