Friday, January 24, 2014

Scooters and a Guest Visitor

We had to do some schedule switching this afternoon what with our day off school yesterday.  Sunday all the kids sing and the 7th and 8th graders play bells.  The bell players have only had two or three practices, so Mrs. M wanted to squeeze another practice in today.  It took a bit of finagling, but we got it squared away.  I ended up in the gym watching Mrs. M's 1st and 2nd graders.  Before she left, she asked me how I thought about her students getting out the scooters, but by the time we got to the gym the kids were cruising.


I remember scooters being one of the best things to play at recess, second only to the parachute.  As a teacher, scooters are accidents waiting to happen.  I let them go with the warning that as soon as it got too crazy or someone got hurt we'd put them away.  Pretty soon the 1st grade girls had one of the 5th graders dragging them around the gym.  The scooters we have connect to each other, so they made a scooter chain and had my 5th grader lead them with a hula hoop.  A few other students not part of the chain were playing some sort of tag game that sometimes caused them to slide off the scooter or get really close to crashing into the walls.  There were a couple close calls... No one got hurt though! 


Sunday is supposed to be another blizzard.  Mrs. E and I met to discuss what would happen with our WOW Zone school activity if the weather should be bad.  And then we talked about what to do if school is cancelled on Monday.  Ugh!  I'm ready for spring.


I got back to my room to start putting everything back to rights and I heard footsteps outside my door.  Everyone was gone, but I thought I had heard someone pull up to school... In walked my dad!  He had been looking at a tractor in the area and stopped by for a visit.  :)  What a great surprise!

1 comment: