Thursday, January 30, 2014

Fake Injury Day

Everyone looked pretty rough today.  Mr. D had a black eye and cuts all over his face.  Mrs. M broke her neck.  A 7th grader tore her ACL.  About a third of the school had an arm in a sling.  Tons of Band-Aids were showing.  I have a feeling we'll all make a miraculous recovery overnight. 


My 5th graders had the brilliant idea to use red markers to make their bandages look more realistic... some went a little overboard.  I can only imagine what their parents will think.  Actually, I do know what one parent thought.  She called me after school to see if I had sanctioned the activity.  She was more upset that the bandage had been ruined than the fact that her daughter had been making fake injuries on her body (which was what I thought she'd be more worried about).  This student had told me that the bandage was supposed to be thrown away if it got too distracting, so I was operating under the assumption that it was disposable (and I didn't look closer to see if that was actually the case).  Well, it wasn't.  Thankfully, the mom didn't seem mad at me, probably since her daughter knew she was supposed to bring the bandage home again. 


We're celebrating Joe's birthday tomorrow.  I think I forgot to tell the 5th graders.  Oops!  We had some leftover candy from our Witness Bags activity this afternoon, so I have it sitting in a bowl on top of his terrarium.  I think I'll bring some cookies from home too to celebrate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment