Monday, April 7, 2014

The Truck Got Stuck

The most exciting thing that happened today was the garbage truck getting stuck outside our window.  There was a small drift of snow left in front of the dumpster and the truck backed right over it.  When the driver tried to leave, his back tires were spinning but he didn't go anywhere!  He ended up stuck at our school for a good hour or two while he waited for a tow truck to pull him out.


The 5th graders took their ITBS reading test today.  The first half went really well.  The second half... the reading passages were longer, so they got more intimidated.  And they were tired.  One student kept hissing at the person next to her, "Stop being so loud!  Quit it!" and shot her so many dirty looks I lost count.  This made her neighbor protest loudly, "I'm not doing anything!"  And the first student would say even louder, "Yes you are, you're..." and so on an so forth.  Solution?  Grab a chair and an extra tri-fold display board and stick them between the two.  That worked for a while until one of them moved and accidentally knocked the board on top of the original complainer.  Surprisingly, the first student didn't blow up (I had braced myself, just in case).  One day down, four to go.


We went outside for recess today.  It was a bit chilly, but no one complained.  Our game was kickball, boys vs. girls.  Halfway through the girls complained because the teams were unfair, so we mixed them up for the last few minutes of recess.


Our school got a new t-ball stand, completely made out of rubber/plastic stuff.  So that lovely scent is permeating the hallway/my classroom.  Maybe that's what's giving me a headache.  Or it could be the hour long conversation I had with someone who explained the new school bus/field trip transportation statute for Minnesota.  It's so depressing I don't even want to talk about it right now.  Plus it will take too long to explain and I have a bunch of lessons I still need to do for tomorrow.  So maybe tomorrow I'll explain more.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment