Monday, September 8, 2014

Who needs a Farmer's Tan when you have a Sunglasses Tan?

This morning was a little chaotic with our first day of English class underway.  We had Daily 5 going on in the background, meaning the 6th graders did a round while I taught the 5th graders, and then the 5th graders did a round while I taught the 6th graders.  It was a little strange.  I think they all got their homework finished though! I told them they could work on their English homework during Work on Writing.  Some of them had already done Work on Writing beforehand, and I wouldn't let them redo it, so they were pretty bummed.  This is going to make them strategize!  They'll also have to choose when to do their spelling so I can help them if need be.


Oh man! Our read-aloud book just got to a really good part.  I had to stop in the middle of a chapter because I noticed one of the 5th graders looking pretty droopy.  I wish I could've kept reading!  The part we're at is SO FUNNY! I couldn't stop smiling while I read, even though we weren't to the funny part yet.  Oh boy.  Anyway, my students begged me to keep reading, so I compromised and said we could read a little more before lunch.  Of course, today the 3rd and 4th graders knocked early, so we didn't get all that much time to read and we STILL didn't finish the chapter.  Sigh.  Tomorrow is a new day. 


Today was also the first time we tried the electric piano in the new spot.  It didn't work so well.  To have it plugged in, the piano has to be at an awkward angle so I can't see half my class.  I'll have to play around with it a little more.  But then the music stand wasn't high enough and when I tried to pull it up to my height... the top popped off.  And then I had to shove it back on while the hymnbooks were weighing it down.  And my students were raring to go. 


It's kind of funny.  Almost every day, we come in from recess or PE and they ask, "Wait, it's already time to go?"  It's like they can't believe the end of the day is already here.  I suppose that's a good sign. 


As far as chaos goes, today was pretty mellow.  There were the little spats throughout the day of course, and the "you guys need to be quiet I'm trying to concentrate" shouted in a loud voice across the room.  My external hard drive keeps making beeping sounds and then stops working sometimes.  I Googled it and found something about the fan/motor getting stuck so it doesn't work.  *Wince* Hopefully it's something I can get fixed.  I don't want to have to shell out for a new one.


Volleyball practice went all right today.  Speaking of volleyball... this weekend was the sand volleyball tournament in Courtland.  I was outside all day playing.  And I forgot to put on sunscreen.  About halfway through the day it crossed my mind, but by then it was too late.  I went to church sporting a bright red face and very nice sunglasses lines across my cheeks. 


I thought it was looking a lot better this morning but as soon as my students walked in, "Man Miss Heintz!  What happened to your face?  You were out in the sun a little, weren't you?"  The funny thing is that only two people at church commented on my being "out in the sun" whereas about twenty students at school said something.  Oh well.  God's keeping me humble.  And it's a good teachable moment on the wonders of sunscreen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment