Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Not Enough Time in the Day

Today was one of those days where there was so much learning going on, we didn't have time to squeeze it all in!


For once religion didn't go over time... but then I let some of my students say their memory work afterwards before read-aloud (this week's is the Old Testament books of the Bible which they already know).  And then we did some interesting words back in the reading corner... and then it was time for English. 


And the 5th graders learned about direct objects and objects of prepositions.  Yeah.  Not something easily grasped.  (By the way Dad, my students were really impressed you corrected their English papers.)  So we spent a little extra time on that... leaving less time for Daily 5.  We could've extended Daily 5 into our normal Spanish time... however yesterday we learned to play the Spanish Tap Game (learning names for school supplies) and I wanted to have a good chunk of time for that. 


Lunch. Recess.  (One of the 6th graders helped me drag the prairie garden bench over to the soccer field so we could sit on it and watch the game.)  8th grade science.  Bells.


Bells actually went better today.  I still got some attitude from the 8th grade girls, but our song is sounding better.  I spent a bunch of time working with groups of students (top four players, middle three players... didn't have time to work with the bottom note players).  We're still having trouble with syncopation and I miss hearing the highest notes.  No one was assigned those notes; I think I'll need to play them.  I decided we'll play this song for the Fine Arts Festival in March; that way we actually get to play it.  We'll do some easier songs for church in November.  There's so much extra foam floating around; I want to get rid of it.  I picked out two of the worst pieces we never use, but I want to check with Mr. E that it's okay for me to dump them.  Slowly but surely we're settling in.


Even though we ended bells right at 1:30, we didn't get started on MN history right away.  Our topic today was life in a Dakota camp and we only got through Spring and Summer.  I suppose we'll do Autumn and Winter tomorrow (or Friday).  And now my students are outside for PE.  There's volleyball practice after school.  I only have one lesson to prepare for tomorrow, so I'm hoping I can get home a little earlier than I have the past two nights.


Oh! Report on the volleyball games yesterday: after the soccer game, the girls played two games against the other team's B squad and won.  Then they played three games against the A squad and lost one (by two points), won one, and lost the last one (they were just too tired out).  So all in all, we won three out of five games... with no subs.  We were supposed to have one sub, but her mom called me while I was on the way there saying she didn't have her homework done and wasn't even trying to do it.  So I told her to keep the student home; homework comes first.  I hadn't known the other team had a B squad, so at practice the other day I told the moms there wasn't a B squad game.  Oops. 


Which reminds me: I need to get updated schedules printed off before practice... and my students are coming in from PE.

No comments:

Post a Comment