Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Bake Sale Redo

I feel a lot better today.  A good night's sleep certainly helped. 


The class's attitude was pretty good today.  This morning was great!  No arguments or tattling or annoying each other.  There wasn't any major picking-on situations... until recess.  It's come to the point where the class isn't going to put up with the picking-on any more.  They're not just going to roll over and let this person be mean.  So now they're sticking up for each other a little more and everybody is tattling on the picker.  This of course makes the picker madder, so he retaliates physically.


After we came in from recess, the picker was mad about something people were saying at recess (if you keep fighting, you're not going to be able to kick during kickball).  So he shoved a girl into her desk (could've been an accident... probably wasn't) and punched a classmate on the back of the head (definitely on purpose).  And then the mini-whiteboard fell on top the kid who got punched.  Great.  So Mr. E and I had a 45 minute talk with the picker to get to the bottom of the situation.  And he still wouldn't explain why he punched his friend. 


I was supposed to go to two speech IEP meetings after school, but that didn't end up happening.  I got there right after they finished and the speech ladies caught me up with what I missed. 


One more story about kickball:  Everything was fine and dandy when all of a sudden, someone called, "Miss H, [student] is crying!"  I hadn't seen anyone fighting with him and he's not one to cry over hurt feelings... it turned out he accidentally popped his ankle out of place.  He sprained it before and sometimes if he steps on it wrong, it pops out and he can't put any weight on it.  Oh boy, what to do?! 


The light bulb came on, "What if I try tugging it? Maybe that will put it back in place."  I remember my mom giving a yank to a finger or a wrist or a foot whenever my sisters and I ever thought something was out of place.  He was willing to let me try.  Oh man, I was nervous.  I was scared I'd mess it up even worse.  Of course I had to keep my poker face going or everyone else would've freaked out too.  So the student took his place on the picnic table, classmates huddled around.  I wrapped my hands around his ankle, trying not to wince at what I was about to do.  A gentle tug (I felt his ankle move, but didn't hear a pop) and he brightened up and said, "Wow, that feels better!"  We did one more tug, just to be sure.  The muscle was sore, so he sat out for a while more, but before too long he was back in the game!




One of the sixth graders typed me a letter during computer.  It talked about how she hopes I'll enjoy my last year teaching her and how she wishes Mr. E would do read-aloud time and Daily Five stuff... but she realizes that every teacher is different about what they do.  She used the new first and second grade teacher as an example, but spelled her name Bareback (instead of Baerbock) and spelled the old teacher's name Micestir (which is how it's pronounced, but not how it's spelled).  That brought a smile to my face.  What a cute letter!  She wanted me to read it aloud to the class, but I think I'm going to keep it to myself. 


Oh yeah, the soccer game.  We won 4-0 against Faribault.  Our class put out our leftover bake sale stuff and made $28.  Not too shabby!  I wonder... we have volleyball and soccer games on Friday night.  Is that too late to put them out again?  Otherwise I don't know what to do with the extra stuff.  It'd be nice to make a little more money for Camp Omega.

No comments:

Post a Comment