Friday, September 19, 2014

Jelly Legs

Ho boy, my legs feel like jelly!  Instead of playing kickball (which gets too heated and people cry...) we went with Eagle's Eggs for a change.  I remember playing that game every recess we could in 5-8th grade. 


One student had to leave early for a dentist appointment, so we had uneven teams.  That meant that I had to play.  A 6th grader (really cocky) told me to be on defense.  Ha!  I scoffed in my head, "Just because I'm a teacher doesn't mean I can't run and get to the nest."  So when I saw an opening, I took it and ran as fast as I could!  I dodged and weaved and bobbed and dashed!  And I made it in the nest.  My students were pretty much in awe.  And then I rested because I was out of breath.  Carefully waiting for an opening, I took off when everyone else was distracted by someone else running the line.  And I made it!  Woohoo!  First egg across the border!  And since I had made my point (I'm not an old fuddy-duddy), I settled down and took it easy the rest of the game.  Until a really fast kid tried to make a break for the nest.  He thought he was going to get past me, but I psyched him out and tagged him.  Yeah, that 6th grader? He was pretty impressed.  A couple other kids told me, "Wow, Miss H. I never saw anyone run that fast!"  After the game I even got a few high fives from the other team.  It's too bad it took so long for me to become this athletic.  I definitely could've used some of those moves back in grade school.


Anyway, enough tooting my own horn.  The other team was not very happy about the game.  They thought they knew the rules and then didn't play with good strategy, so they were losing.  And not happy about it.  "These teams are unfair!"  "I hate this game."  "Can we do a jailbreak?"  "Come on! I want to quit."  On the other hand, my 5th grader who cried in kickball because she messed up was much happier playing Eagle's Eggs, so I count that as a win.  We'll play some other game next time.


We came in from recess hot and sweaty (and a little mad).  And found Mr. E waiting for us by the door.  "Did you guys forget?" he asked.  Oops.  We were supposed to practice the songs we're singing on Sunday at 2:20 and I totally forgot.  This morning I was going to put a note on the board so hopefully one of my students would remind me... and I forgot to do that.  Oh well.  Someone could've come out and got me, but no one did, so I don't feel quite as bad.  And we practiced the song in our room before going home; they know it.  So we're good.


A bunch of my kids forgot to bring their book orders in today.  I did get orders from four out of 12 students. Not bad!  After school I tried to place an order and the site wouldn't work!  I ended up calling Scholastic (their site was down and would be down for 30-60 minutes more).  The lady let me order over the phone (not as painful as I thought it would be).  So I just have to pop the checks in the mail and our books will be here in one week!  Yahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment