Wednesday, September 3, 2014

So much for volleyball...

I needed to be in two places at once after school today.  We had volleyball practice and I also had an IEP meeting for two students at Nicollet.  Since I'm a co-volleyball coach, the IEP meeting took the priority.  The poor little 3rd grade girls!  When I told them I was only going to be at practice for a little bit since I had to go to a meeting, their eyes got huge and they looked worried.  One asked, "Are you ever coming back?"  My intention was to only stay at the meeting until 3:30 so I'd get back for half the practice... well, there wasn't really a good time for me to step out of the meeting.  It got over at about 4:00, right as practice was over.  By the time we got back to school, everyone from volleyball was gone.


Speaking about volleyball... our sand volleyball team won all six of our games last night.  Woohoo! Nothing like finishing the season strong.  The tournament is this Saturday.  And it seems like a lot of our team isn't going to show up.  So we might be done pretty early.  We'll see.


I got an interesting phone call earlier today.  It was a semi-truck driver who was going to deliver our volleyball nets.  We're installing the kind that stick in a hole in the gym floor so all we have to do is stick the poles in and ratchet the net tight.  The driver said he'd be coming around noon today and wanted to get directions.  So I told him how to get to our school from Mankato (the direction he said he'd be coming from).  Closer to noon, he called Mr. E and said he was in St. Peter and he'd see us in a half an hour.  And then he never showed up.  Did he get lost? Did his truck break down? No one knows.


Today the plan was to have the 5th and 6th graders work on their Internet Sources project... but the computers weren't working this morning.  Black screens all across the board.  I called the IT guys; no answer.  Mr. D created a support ticket on the website; no response.  Mr. E sent them a text bomb (lots of texts all at once so your phone goes crazy).  Still nothing.  1:30pm.  I call one more time before trying to scrounge up a back-up plan if we don't have computers... no answer.  Then I get the news from a 6th grader, "Hey! The computers are working again!"  Woohoo! Praise the Lord!  So we did get on the computers after all.  And they had a lot of fun looking up the sites I listed.  They're excited to look up more information about the symbols of Minnesota.  I still haven't decided if we'll do research tomorrow and then share, or if I'll teach them a science lesson... hmm.  It's very tempting; one less lesson to plan for tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment