Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Ice Cream Social

Today was our second day of Writers' Workshop.  The first day didn't go as well as I hoped, so I was a bit discouraged and hesitant about how day two would go.  But it actually went really well! My students found interesting things to write about and they were sad to be done writing.  Even the kid who didn't write a single word yesterday wrote 3/4ths of a page! Amazing! I hope we can keep this energy up.  They also got really excited about sharing their writing.  I started a story about my family's trip to the Black Hills and already I can see about a million ways to use it in "how to fix your writing and make it better".  It could definitely use some editing/more powerful words. 


After school we had our first volleyball practice of the year.  It also went better than expected.  I think a lot of the younger girls have been practicing with their moms/sisters so they've had a little bit of experience.  I think we'll do okay at our first game tomorrow.  Yep, we already have a game.  No time to pass out uniforms today, so that will also be a task for tomorrow.


Following volleyball all the teachers went over to church's ice cream social, which may sound like just a bunch of people getting together to eat ice cream.  Not so.  It's basically a full meal (free will donation) with a little ice cream on the side.  I actually didn't eat any ice cream there!  I had a gigantic piece of French silk pie instead.  It was so big I almost couldn't finish it!  And now I'm ready to go home and digest.  Thankfully this is the last thing I need to do to finish up and then I can head for home.


Joe is all settled into his usual spot.  The fifth grade girls always pop over and see what he's up to, and then they say good-bye before leaving the room for the day.  One of the 7th graders put his apple experiment in Joe's tank under the heat lamp to see what it would do to the apples.  So far Joe has only pushed it around a little bit.  All my students want Joe to bury it.

No comments:

Post a Comment