Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Tire Troubles

Oh don't worry! It wasn't my tires that had the trouble today.  I got a call at 6:10 this morning from Mr. D saying that his car had a completely flat tire and he didn't want to mess with it this morning and would I please be willing to give him a ride to school? So I got ready for school, picked him up, and we were to school before 7:30 (my usual arrival time).  Pastor gave him a ride home after school and I just got word that together they got the tire repaired/changed and Mr. D is good to go for tomorrow.


We had another day packed with activity.  The 7th graders liked the apple experiment... they got a little more creative on where they put their jars.  Since we don't have science every day, they'll only record notes every other day.  One kid put his jar in between the window glass and the screen.  I'm curious to see how that one turns out!  There are only 5 seventh graders this year, most of them are very scholarly.  It was nice to not see rolling eyes and hear grumbling when we started class today!  They took notes and everything.  And afterwards we did spelling and started a read-aloud book.  This is the first time I've done read aloud with Mr. E's class, but this class enjoyed it so much last year I figured this would be the perfect time to reinstate it.  So far, so good!


Our afternoon recess was a little tetchy.  First, it was super hot out.  Second, one of the loud 6th grade boys wanted free time and I wanted to play a game as a class.  Third, we played a somewhat complicated game (Wizards, Giants, Elves... kind of like giant rock paper scissors but with teams).  We ended up switching to giant Rock, Paper, Scissors, which worked a little better.  And by that time recess was half over and I let them switch to free time.  The boys all went to play football while the girls went to the 4-square courts... but we couldn't find the ball.  They looked high and low and in between.  Nothing.  Every classroom... nothing.  Finally one of the 2nd graders squealed on the 4th grader who kicked it into the woods.  Well, we looked and looked but still couldn't find it.  And by that point it was time to go in.  Bummer.  What a wasted recess.  The good news is that Mr. E ordered six new bouncy balls, one for each classroom, that will hopefully arrive tomorrow! Probably not in time for noon recess though.


The most annoying thing of the day... one of the 6th graders left school at 1:00 to go to a movie with his cousin.  And had no qualms about telling the whole class.  His cousin is on leave from the navy (he's deployed in Africa) and that was the only time the movie they wanted to see was playing... hence the early departure from school.  Erg! Still. It makes me irritated.  And that he wasn't keeping it quiet either!  Of course the class looks at me like, "wait, how does he get to go home early? to see a movie? how come we can't do that?!"


The second most annoying thing is that I'm supposed to be having a volleyball coaches meeting right now... but none of the other coaches are here.  It was supposed to start at 5 and it's now 5:15.  So how long do I wait???  Probably til at least 5:30.  Sigh.  I'm ready to go home. 


But to end on a positive note! My flowers still look lovely and I almost have my plan for next week finished.  And tomorrow is the last day of school this week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment