Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Learn Something New Every Day

Volleyball practice got off to a slow start this afternoon.  I took a little bit more time to get ready since the other coach was at school right away.  But instead of starting practice without me, she was fiddling with the nets.  The girls hadn't even run their laps/did their stretching by the time I got in the gym.  There's a volleyball camp going on at Nicollet this week (started today), so we were down a bunch of players.  Plus one girl forgot her volleyball stuff and just went home after school.  No big deal.  We ended up with only six girls at practice, mostly older girls.  So we worked on spiking... something I've never really learned how to do.  My girls were so shocked I'd never learned to spike before.  And they immediately set about teaching me.  It was so funny to hear them encouraging me and cheering me on when my spike was... not so good.  But eventually I got the hang of it!  Then they were after me to try overhand serving... yeah, I tried one and it landed short.  Didn't even make it to the net.  And that was enough overhand serving for one day.  Overall, it was a very good practice.


Nothing too out of the ordinary happened today.  The 7th graders had heard about an experiment you can do to make bananas less brown.  You put the banana in a bag of rice for an hour, then heat it with a hair-dryer.  Supposedly the brown spots fade and the banana is as good as new... Our banana had been sitting out for a few days and was super brown.  And we didn't have a ton of rice in the bag.  We kept it in the bag for an hour; it looked even more brown than before.  But blow-drying it did make it a little less brown.  Not very yellow though.  I think we need to leave it in the rice longer and maybe do it with a less ripe banana.  We'll see if one of the 7th graders brings in a new banana.


Tonight I have ladies' bible study.  I went last week and it was really interesting... Bad Girls of the Bible is what it's called.  It took me a while to find the house.  Mrs. B gave me instructions on how to get to this person's house (and I'd walked past it before), but there are an awful lot of white houses with white garages in the back.  I ended up standing outside a different house for a while until I saw some other ladies from church.  As I'm typing this story I get the feeling that I may have typed it before.  So I apologize if it's a repeat from last week.  And with that, I'm off to my apartment to quick eat supper and get to bible study!

No comments:

Post a Comment