Monday, September 28, 2015

The Lost Shall Be Found

We uh... misplaced Joe today.  Again, a student showed up to school at 7:30 this morning looking for something to do.  He fluffed up Joe's bedding and let him walk around on the floor so he wouldn't get in the way.  Since even tortoises need exercise, we didn't put him back.  And by the time the bell rang, I had forgotten all about the little reptile crawling around at our feet.  Snack time comes and someone asks, "Hey, where's Joe? Is he still wandering around?"  They found him in the coat room on the way to the gym.  Mouse traps have been set up out there (and have caught mice... but that's a whole other story) and some of the boys thought it'd be funny to tell me that Joe got caught in a mousetrap.  Huh.  I don't know if he was even close to a mousetrap or not, but I do know he left the classroom.  So we brought him back inside and let him keep walking.  Writing Workshop time, again someone notices... "Hey, Joe's still not in his tank.  Did anyone ever put him back?"  Nope.  We scanned the classroom.  Nothing.  Search a little harder... double checked the closet, peaked in the coatroom.  Nada.  Where could he be?  Under the desks? Computer chairs? None of the above.  We're just about to pause everything for a massive search of the gym when I ask if anyone's checked under the printer.  Sure enough, our little cold-blooded friend was wedged in the corner under the printer.  We had to pull the printer cart out to get at Joe.  And now he's safely back in his tank chowing down on some lettuce.


Other interesting things of the day: Mrs. B dropped off a loaf of banana bread for our snack today.  The kids were super excited! I have a student out with tummy troubles. Mr. D sent one home today for a stomachache, and I have another student complaining he doesn't feel good.  Ugh. It's starting.  I noticed my throat was a little sore this afternoon, but that could be because I've been talking more today than most.


We have a volleyball game in Mankato today at 4:00 and I'm bringing two players to the game, so I don't have a whole lot of time.  I got a note in my mailbox at school just now that says BLC is looking for teachers to mentor Bethany students for a reading/literacy clinical in November.  Hmm...  I've been teaching long enough that I qualify to mentor.  I've always thought it would be fun to do.  But I've just started a different English curriculum this year (writer's workshop) and am not sure I'm comfortable enough with it to mentor another person on how to run it.  Daily 5 would be good though. Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment