Friday, October 2, 2015

Memory Soccer?

Ah, Friday.  There's no other day of the week quite like it.


I had one 6th grader out sick today, and one 6th grader who was supposed to be gone but was in school... his grandma from Michigan isn't doing so good and their family was going out to visit her, supposedly this weekend, but he showed up in school all grouchy this morning saying they were going to go in a week or two. 


One of the 5th graders had trouble with Luther's Evening Prayer.  I told her she could practice it outside at noon recess and then say it to me when she was ready.  She and her best friend tried playing soccer as she memorized... it was hilarious.  This 5th grader has her nose in her folder, trying her hardest to memorize those tricky phrases that have been tripping her up.  Her friend is 20ft away, kicking the ball to her.  Once memory-work girl has the ball, she (still with her nose in her folder) kicks where she thinks the ball is.  But she can't keep her balance.  Down goes the foot!  She tries again, this time keeping her balance, but completely misses the ball!  Again, she tries again, loses her balance, re-aims without looking, and tries to kick the ball.  Another huge miss.  Her friend and I exchange grins as we watch her focused dance with her memory work and the ball.  I couldn't help chuckling! And then her concentration was broken enough she could pause to kick the ball.  She did get her memory work said before the end of recess!


VIP day (aka- Very Important Person Day, or Grandparent's Day) is on Monday.  We always set up tables in the gym for our VIPs to eat donuts with us.  There aren't enough tables at school for us to use so we have to have someone bring some over from church... all the guys who usually help are in the fields.  So Mr. E borrowed one guy's truck and hauled a couple over this afternoon while I watched his class.  We were working on one of the many posters contests we're involved in... there's the Lions' Peace Poster contest and the Fire Department's Fire Safety Poster contest, both due next Friday.  I wish they could space them out a bit.  My students always freak out because they don't have that much time to work on them.  But they always get them done.


At 2:00, the Lions came to talk to the 6th and 7th graders about helping out with their annual Halloween party.  My 5th graders and I set up the tables and chairs in the gym.  They did a great job taking action without me having to hover over them constantly telling them what to do.  Unfortunately, we finished just as it was time to pack up... no time for recess.  But my class is a convincing bunch and since they packed up in record time we went out for five minutes of four-square. 


My weekend is a little more relaxing than last... a college friend is coming over tonight for movies/hanging out and Saturday afternoon I'm headed down to Fulda to hang out with the fam.  That's about all I have planned.  Next weekend is going to be whirlwind!  Faribault volleyball tournament (last volleyball event of the year!) and the Joint Service with Redeemer/Silent Auction/Pork Chop Dinner... and all the set-up that goes with it.  Yikes! I better rest up while I have the chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment