Tuesday, October 13, 2015

UGH

I had to do a bunch of hard things today.  It makes me want to bang my head against my desk and yell "UGH!"


First, one of my students who hates reading was super obstinate today.  Not sure why.  He decided he didn't want to read and was going to do everything in his power to avoid it.  And he did the same for bell practice.  I had to use my scary teacher voice on him.  Never a fun thing to do.  Eventually he joined the class, but he was still being a poop during practice. 


After school I had to have a conversation with a potential chaperone for our Camp Omega trip next week.  PTL agreed to pay for two chaperones (besides me), so I told parents the first two to send back the permission forms would get the paid for registrations.  Anyone else would have to pay the $76 fee.  Well, wouldn't you know, I get two permission slips from female chaperones back within five minutes of each other.  And the first one says she's willing to pay if she doesn't get it, but the second/later one doesn't have that option checked.  So now what? Fifteen students won't fit in three cars that hold only four passengers!  Mr. E and I got it all straightened out with the mom, and the board of education is going to try to find the extra money somewhere so this parent doesn't have to pay. 

As soon as we had all that figured out (and I sent the signed forms back to Camp Omega), I got a call from a parent asking if it would be okay for her two sons to not go on the trip because their sister was coming home from college and Thursday night would be the only time she could spend time with them.  UGH! Right after I sent the forms back. 


I hate it when parents ask if their kids can stay home from field trips. I'm putting in a lot of work to get everything in order, and it's supposed to be a fun time! And if I let one kid stay home, what's to stop the others from saying, "eh, think I'll stay home too."  But I already let one kid do that for our Fort Ridgely field trip, so if I told the other family the boys have to go, they'll cry, "unfair, unfair!" and I'll be in trouble.  Sigh.  So once again, I talked to Mr. E and we decided not to fight the parent on this.  So those boys will be staying home.  And now I have to refigure all my money calculations on how much each family owes. 


Sunday we're doing a bake sale/serving donuts after church to raise more money.  I don't know how that's going to go.  It sounds like a lot of parents aren't going to be helping.  I just don't want to be the only one there on Sunday.  Wouldn't that be great? 


On the plus side, we did get a volunteer for the male chaperone.  And one of the first graders brought me a piece of rhubarb pie fresh from the oven at snack time (their class made a pie I guess?).  The 7th graders got excited about the Greek mythology project I'm having them do.  And we had a really good Writing Workshop/Daily 5 morning jam-packed with learning.  After school we had a Christmas Program planning meeting (I know, Christmas already?) and have a good start on all that.  So really, most of the day has been good... it's just this last part that's been stressful.


With all this stuff going on for Camp Omega and our fundraiser and finishing up Silent Auction stuff and getting midterm grades ready for tomorrow, my brain feels like it's going in a million directions at once!  So.  Now that everyone else is gone and my room is quiet once again, time to get things done, one little bit at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment