Friday, October 30, 2015

Rosie the Riveter

Most kids thought I was a janitor today.  Or a mechanic.  Though I guess Rosie the Riveter was technically a mechanic. I wish I would've printed a picture of her to show the kiddos who asked.  I made a little nametag sticker that said "Rosie".  A lot of kids actually called me Rosie instead of Miss H! 


The carnival went super well.  There was a great variety of games that lots of kids could be playing at the same time.  No one had to wait in line very long.  The hairsprayers and face painters were close to the back door so no one was overpowered by the fumes.  The fingernail polishers had a vast array of colors (some of which they couldn't open... Rosie the Riveter had to use her muscles to twist them free).  Two girls painted the nails and one girl dried them with a special nail dryer machine thing.  I let each painter paint one nail on each hand (I'm not much of a nail polish girl).  One finger ended up neon orange with blue confetti (a layer called fuzzy paint?), and the other hand sports a blue nail with subtle yellowish sparkles.  I'm so fancy!


Aside from the carnival, not too much was accomplished in our room.  We had religion and read-aloud like normal.  Halloween cookies with frosting and sprinkles were for snack (some assembly required), so that took more time than usual. And our chapter ended on a cliff-hanger, of course, so we had to keep reading, of course.  Reading buddies got moved up a bit so we could set up in the gym for the preschool class to have carnival time.  After the preschool carnival, we took spelling tests and it was time for lunch! 

Normally, we eat lunch at two folding tables, but the kiddos used them in carnival set up and left them in the gym... so today and today only we ate lunch at our desks.  I hate doing that.  Desks are for learning, not eating meals, and there's more community sitting around a big table.  Tacos were for lunch today, another time-consuming serving.  Before I even got back to the classroom with my tray, a student asked if he could go out for recess.  Are you kidding me?  I sat down at my desk and three more boys huddled around asking if they could go out.  At least let me eat my taco first!  One kid actually tried to argue with me, "But Miss H, it's almost noon! It's time for recess!"  Yeah, and we could wait to go out until I've eaten all my food.  That shut him up quick.  So recess was definitely the low point of the day.  But the rest of the day made up for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment