Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Roasty Toasty

Yesterday was supposed to be the hot one, but it's even toastier in my classroom today!  I thought it was going to be cooler, so I wore a sweater... not the best decision ever.  Even with the windows open and my sleeves rolled up, I am pretty roasty!  And since I can't bring myself to turn on the AC, I should suffer in silence and not complain.  Pretty soon it will be winter and then I'll be wishing for some of this warm!


Picture day was today.  It's funny to see how people react to it.  Some of the girls come to school super spiffed up with their hair curled and extra fancy jewelry and clothes.  Some of the boys come to school with nicer clothes than usual, itching and scratching until after pictures and then scurry off to the bathroom to change into something more comfortable.  And other boys wear their typical comfy clothes and just throw a nice shirt on over top two minutes before it's their turn with the picture man.  Hey, the picture is only from the waist up!


I think a storm is coming. My kids were kinda crazy today... really at each others' throats.  We all made it to the end of the day, but life got a little rough.  We took our first science test in the afternoon right before our end of the day recess.  Two students took the longest time to finish.  Of course the majority of the class finished way sooner... no one wanted to find something to do.  They all stared off into space or made faces at the people still working on the test.  Lovely. Just lovely.  The boys especially wanted to go out for recess.  I could feel the dissension in the ranks, but didn't want to abandon the test takers in the classroom while the majority went out.  And then one particular student got on his soap box about how at noon recess there were seven people in the classroom unsupervised and way less than seven people were still taking the test now!  And everyone should get to go out for recess RIGHT NOW!  Oh, it was not good.  They nearly mutinied!   ... I need to find a better way of doing that, giving longer-test-takers the time they need while the speedsters aren't sitting there bored.


I finally came up with an alternative assignment for the two boys not going to Camp Omega.  I made up a research worksheet for them... they have to find five survival facts and list where they found them, draw pictures of three types of shelters and describe how to build one in detail, write a 1/2 page paper on orienteering, and list four methods of fire building and pick one they would do and explain why.  All stuff we're going to be doing at Camp Omega, but something they can research and hand in.  So.  Hopefully that's not too much and everyone is happy with it.  They are missing a two day field trip after all.  I don't think the rest of the class knows these two boys are not going.  We'll find out on Thursday I guess. 


Oh! The Fall Carnival is planned! I still need to come up with a schedule for next Friday, but the kids all know what they're doing and have been making signs for their stations.  Next step, figure out a costume!

No comments:

Post a Comment