Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Tobacco Education

We had a guest speaker today.  A dental hygiene student from MSU came to talk about tobacco with my students.  She was a little late because of the detours (supposedly going to be opened back up on Saturday!) and we had some issues getting her laptop set up, but better late than never.  Mr. E was good about letting my class show up to PE late.


Overall, our day was much better than yesterday.  After chapel, Mr. E took four of the boys into the office and had a chat with them.  Meanwhile, we finished our read-aloud book, Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper.  I had to read the sad chapter today.  I've been warning them that this chapter was coming up and I just might cry when I read it.  One of the boys grabbed the box of Kleenex and set it next to me, just in case.  Always so thoughtful, my students!  Their faces while I was reading... they were absolutely riveted.  Completely sucked into the story.  It was awesome.  And of course we couldn't stop at just one chapter, so we finished the book and skipped Writing Workshop today.  We'll start our new read-aloud at Camp Omega tomorrow.  They want to read a fantasy book, but I think we're going to go with Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson. 


The 7th graders have been great this week.  We started a unit on Earth's layers and tectonic plates, and they're soaking it all up.  Such good discussions.  Instead of doing a test on this chapter, I might have them build a model of Earth's layers... maybe with some kind of food!  I'll work on that this weekend. 


I'm ducking out of my classroom much sooner today than usual.  I have to deposit all our class funds into our class account so we're ready for tomorrow, and the bank closes at 3:30.  I'm not planning to come back to school afterward, so I'm booking it to get everything packed up and ready to go.  Tonight there is ladies' bible study and I still need to pack.  It's going to be busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment