Thursday, May 5, 2016

12- Listen to Music in Daily 5

I almost forgot to do this one.  Instead of having musical practice in the afternoon, like we usually do, we switched it to the morning so the kids would be more focused.  They did great! We're ready to perform! But that meant less time for Daily 5 in the morning.  My concentration was centered on giving them enough time to complete their spelling for the week.  One of the kids asked, "aren't we supposed to be listening to music?" Yep! We sure are!  So I turned on iTunes, classical music so they wouldn't be distracted by words.  One of the 6th graders LOVES classical music and requested I play a certain song (but he didn't know the name of it... just the way it sounded). I thought it was "Flight of the Bumblebees" but it was actually "Sabre Dance" by Aram Khachaturian.  He knew he could find it by typing in a specific search into YouTube, so that's what we did.

Since the morning was mixed up, we mixed up the afternoon too!  Mr. E took the 5-7th graders and practiced for Track and Field right after lunch, giving me a little time to catch up on things in my room.  Then we did math/social studies, but ended up staying switched for the rest of the day.  I took the 7th graders over to church to make some modifications on the set (make the Jungle Tram look more like a vehicle).

After school, we moved the book fair stuff over to church and set up the science fair boards and Fine Arts Fair art.  And then we modified the set some more and built a "road" from the doors to the Jungle Tram in front (with colored duct tape!).  My class is serving root beer floats after the program; a family donated a keg of 1919 root beer, and I remembered from years past that we had to tap it before the program for some reason... but I've never tapped a keg before... all other people who'd be more knowledgeable than I were not at church.  But Miss N and I figured it out.  Imagine, tapping our first keg in church!

Tomorrow's balloon prize: rubber band shooting gallery.


No comments:

Post a Comment