Friday, May 20, 2016

1- Paper Airplane Contest

My voice came back a little during the day! Which was good, because I needed to project my voice to keep order... but I think I talked too much and my voice is going away again...

We watched a Wishbone episode this morning as our "Challenge of the Week" prize.  Then we watched a second one in place of read-aloud since I couldn't really read aloud yet.  After that, we filled out some teacher/reading surveys to see if there's anything I should do different next year.  The majority of students didn't have anything I should change.  One question is, "write three words that describe me".  The most common ones are: reader, funny, nice, smart.

Then we did Summer Would You Rather, where I read a statement and the kids decided which option they preferred (went to separate sides of the classroom to show which one they picked). They had so much fun, they wanted to keep doing "would you rathers" instead of our paper airplane contest.  So that's what we did!  We did reading buddies, then BINGO prizes, then finished up last minute work, sang a thank-you to Melissa (the cook), then did more "would you rathers" I found online.  After lunch Miss H was my voice for the 7th graders' spelling test/book correcting.  When my kids came back we spent a half an hour cleaning out desks and then headed over to church for closing chapel!  Whew, the day went fast!

The kids all looked at their apples we stuck in jars at the beginning of the year.  They are super gross.  They all wanted to open them and smell what's inside.  I said absolutely not.  We stuck them in the dumpster.  One of the lids flipped open.  It was a metal lid and a small circle from the middle peeled up! So the lid was still attached, there was just a hole in the middle.  Gross.

We also pulled out our time capsules from the beginning of the year.  They forgot they'd even made them!  So many of them grew!!! In past years, my kiddos have grown maybe an inch or two, if that.  But a whole bunch grew five inches or more.  And their hands got bigger too! I had thought about skipping the project next year, but I think we'll keep doing it.

A few kids got me something for the last day of school. One girl gave me a pack of gum with a note that said, "You are an 'extra' good teacher."  Another brought in a poster board with a letter written and certain words replaced by candy bars.  Mmm!  One mom brought gourmet cupcakes for the teachers and cookies for my students.  A little first grader picked me some flowers.  A whole lot of lovin' going on today.

I still can't believe it's the last day of school!  I did get my grades finished; they're on the end of my desk, ready to pass out to my kiddos after the picnic/awards night.  That is starting in a few minutes, so I should wrap this up and get out there.  Joe will move to his summer home at the library tomorrow.  I've heard that Fulda kids are already asking about him, so it's about time!

No comments:

Post a Comment