Thursday, November 9, 2017

Kids...

Today's lunch discussion led to verrry interesting territory. It started by one of them going around the table asking what everyone's dream job was. Jokingly, the 6th grader asked me my dream job. "Stay at home mom," I said without missing a beat.  They looked shocked since they thought 'teacher'  would be my answer. "Teacher is my second dream job," I followed up. Then they asked about marriage and how old I wanted to be before I got married and somehow that led to what time am I going to make my kids go to bed when I have some. Which led to them sharing what time they have to go to bed... A few said 7:30, a bunch said 8 or 8:30. One said 9:30, and two said whenever they want. Then they remembered I hadn't answered.

"Miss H, what time are you going to make your kids go to bed?" My answer was not so polished: Uhh... well, I guess I haven't thought about it yet... Then I said I would probably wait until I was actually going to have a kid, then do research about it or read about it before I decided anything. They asked me a few more questions about my future children, most of which I didn't know the answer to, before I finally said, "You know, right now, you guys are my kids, so I mostly read stuff that helps me know how to teach you better. When I'm a mom, then I'll figure that stuff out for my kids."

Then they wanted to know if I would home school my future kids. I said probably not. "Why not?" they asked, "You're a teacher. Why wouldn't you want to teach them yourself?" My answer: oh because I think they should get to hang out with other kids and I'll still to 'teachery' things with them at home like reading before bed and devotions and stuff like that. That answer seemed to satisfy them.

Then we got back to the marriage topic... but I kicked them out to the gym for recess!

No comments:

Post a Comment