Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Presents

I had a very productive after school. Well, it was productive after chitchatting with the other teachers and having my last parent/teacher conference. I crossed a bunch of things off my to-do list, printed the NaNo winner certificates (half of them have already met their goals), and researched strategies to help students remember what they're reading.

I have a few students who don't remember what they read. They'll read fluently out loud, but when I ask questions about the story, they draw a blank or just remember specific details. I need to teach them to use their brain when they read. One student I met with today seemed to think she was a lost cause when it comes to reading. She doesn't like reading because she can't remember anything from the story. Challenge accepted. Miss S and I talked about it after school today, and it seems like we'll be able to help each other out.

My kiddos added to the card for Miss M today. The 5th graders were respectful of the 6th graders and didn't draw on the front page. They wrote 'thank you' on the back page and drew a gorgeous flower and a unicorn. The 6th graders were impressed. In total, the class brought in $20 to spend on things for Miss M (two kids forgot and are going to bring their money tomorrow, so I just chipped in a few dollars). I bought her a balloon that says "You Rock!" from the Dollar Store, two bars of specialty chocolate (on sale at HyVee), and a cute little bouquet of flowers (green and white) also from HyVee. Everything is stashed safely in my apartment. Now all I need to do is get my NaNo written so I have time to bake cookies Thursday night!

I also had time while running errands to pick up more NaNo prizes from the Dollar Store, swing by the library (where I didn't check out too many books for once), and... I bought a couch! Yay! I've been thinking about upgrading from my free/used couch I got after college. Last week on a whim I tested out a few at the furniture store and fell in love with a cushy, plush, brown one. I could not get my mind off the couch all week! So today I went into the New Ulm branch and it turns out they have one. And they gave me a bit of a discount since I know Mrs. E (she used to work there). And it will fit through my narrow porch door no problem! It will be delivered to my apartment next week. Huzzah!

Now, time to settle in and write some words...

No comments:

Post a Comment