Friday, November 10, 2017

Veteran's Day

Guess what! I might be getting a new 5th grade student! Another girl. It's a girl who currently goes to the public school, but I recognize her from church. And, word on the street (aka- the classroom), is that one of the 6th grade boys has a crush on her. Or his classmates tease him about liking her anyway. Oh boy... hopefully that is long gone and I won't have to deal with it (but I have a feeling it's not).

The Veteran's Day program at Nicollet was really good. The 5th graders did a presentation about the Constitution and the Articles of Confederation. Super interesting. We haven't gotten to that part of American history, but we will, so hopefully when the time comes my kiddos will remember that part of the service. The main speaker was a navy man who's from Nicollet. He worked for many years on a submarine and had done missions/work involving nuclear stuff. Whew! He was interesting, but used such unfamiliar, big words that my students didn't understand everything he said, which caused them to be a bit bored.

The band played. Oh man, it made me miss band. The choir sang too, but my heart isn't as tied to choir as it is to band. Both sounded very nice. This year, they told us the history of the 21 guns, or the beginning origins of the tradition... before a group would surrender, they'd shoot off 21 guns to use up their ammo and show that they were giving up peacefully; they couldn't fight any more.  My students were glad we could stay inside for the 21 gun salute. They don't like loud noises. The men went outside to shoot, but had the doors open so everyone could hear. Then they played Taps. It gets me every time. All in all a very nice service.

We got back to school right at the end of the day, prayed, and went home!

No comments:

Post a Comment