Monday, November 13, 2017

Timber

I had a first today... a student dropped to the ground while we practiced singing this morning.

Everyone was lined up at the front of the room. We'd been singing for a while when all of a sudden she stumbled and fell into the back row of boys. They all thought she'd tripped or someone had pushed her, and they tried to catch her, but she kept falling, sliding to the floor, knocking into other classmates, finally landing on someone's shoe.

The way she fell reminded me of other people I've seen faint, so I hustled over as fast as I could, calmly freaking out in my head, if that's possible. I got to her just as she hit the ground (her head landed on a classmate's shoe so she didn't get hurt as she fell).  I called her name (quietly so other kids wouldn't get freaked out). When she didn't respond I tapped her on the shoulder and called her name again. I must've done it about five times before she finally looked at me and said, "What?" That was the scariest part. Thoughts running through my head as I called her name: Oh boy, how to keep everyone calm when they find out something's wrong? Do we need to call an ambulance? How's that going to work? Should we clear everyone out? Is she having a seizure? No, I don't think so. Maybe she just fainted. Thank the Lord everyone is staying where they are and not crowding around her...

She said she just got light headed and that she'd felt sick all weekend and hadn't eaten any breakfast (plus it was pretty hot in Mr. E's room). So we walked her to the office and called her mom to come get her. She was fine walking to the office and our room to wait for her mom, but she did look awful pale.

The poor 1st and 2nd graders thought it was contagious... Miss S said they kept asking her if they'd fall over next. Everyone in my class was super worried until Mr. E and I came back in the singing room and gave them the nod/mouthed the words "She's okay." Whew! Something I don't want to have happen again!

No comments:

Post a Comment