Monday, December 2, 2019

First Day Back

Thanksgiving break was wonderful... tons of time with family, a bunch of reading time, no papers to correct... The drive home Sunday night wasn't fantastic, but I went slow and made it without any troubles. The hardest part was that a lot of the road was dry, but every so often there were slick spots, so you had to go slow so you wouldn't hit them too fast.

My new classroom heaters are not keeping up with the cold. I'm really glad they left in the electric heat, but that's only set at 66 degrees. I keep the new ones set at 70 degrees, but the highest the room ever got today was 69, so I have to set it higher. Another science experiment to fiddle with.

My kids were not at their best today. Too many squirrely bodies. A parent sent me the name of a classroom management book I should check out (she's a social worker, and I'd told her if she found anything useful to send it my way, so it's okay, but it still stings a little for a parent to tell me that I need a classroom management book... eh, I'll get over it). It's not in any public library system in Minnesota, the BLC library, or the MSU library. It's on Goodreads, but no one has read/reviewed it. I'm the first to 'want to read' it. I found it on Amazon and only three people have reviewed it. Their reviews are positive, but I don't know that I want to buy it until I've read it myself. I'm waiting to hear from the parent if she has access to the book or not.

Speaking of books... ALL my students completed their NaNo goals in November! Two boys finished their books on the last day. I kept checking the class NaNo page over break to see how far they were getting. In all total, my class of 12 students (plus me) wrote a collective 69,245 words in November (30,456 of them are mine). A few kids have met their goals but haven't finished their stories, so a handful of them are still racking up words. My highest writer is up to 10,000 words and still going strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment