Friday, December 6, 2019

Outside Recess

My boys fight me on outside recess. They complain that there's nothing to do outside; they want to practice basketball. My answer: guess what, there's a basketball hoop outside. They don't like that hoop because for a long time the net was tight and the balls would get stuck in it. Now it has stretched out and it doesn't happen so often but they're still leery of it. Their next complaint is that there's ice on the blacktop, so the balls get dirty. Well, such is life. We're in the gym most of the time for recess, when it's nice out, we should go outside.

I'm pretty proud of myself for getting the guys to have fun at recess, or at the very least be active. It started with them saying there was nothing to do.
Me: So play 4-square.
Them: No, who's going to play with us?
Me: I will.
Them: Eh... there's ice everywhere. (there wasn't ice everywhere)
Me: How about hopscotch?
Them: HOPSCOTCH! What even is hopscotch?

So I showed them how to play. Then I threw a chunk of ice on the squares to make it harder. Soon they were hopping through it faster and faster. I mixed it up with math facts: do only odd numbers, multiples of three, prime numbers, etc. They came up with some ideas of what to jump on too. They spent most of the rest of recess jumping hopscotch.

No comments:

Post a Comment