Friday, May 1, 2020

16!


Boy this morning's class was a little different than usual... Yesterday afternoon, one of the 6th graders sent our class a message saying their family barn was burning down. He posted a video of the barn burning, but most of us didn't get the details until this morning.

Sparks from a bonfire (I think it was mostly put out...) blew into the barn and started burning some of the old hay. It was used for machinery, so no animals were kept in it, but a lot of tools and tractors were in it. He and his brother (both in my class) said they watched their dad go in the barn to rescue their dog. Then, before they knew if he was out or not, the oil barrels inside it blew up and blew a big hole in the roof. Both their dad and their dog are completely fine. They had four fire stations show up to battle the blaze. Only two of the firefighters were injured from oil splashing on them.

I think the boys were in shock. One kept saying all his childhood memories were gone. He's the kind of person who keeps things tucked inside and doesn't let them out. His brother likes to talk through things, so he and I talked for a while after he said his memory work. If you could keep their family in your prayers, that would be great. They said they lost three tractors in the fire, their air compressor, and a ton of tools. There was insurance on the barn, which will help, and their dad had a list of all the tools that were stored in it.

So, that was the start of our Morning Meeting. I figured it would help them to talk through what happened (plus their classmates were interested). It was hard to make the jump back to religion. We did a short religion lesson and then did read-aloud. No Friday Field Trip today. I'm headed to Fulda this weekend so I can practice for my Friday Field Trip next week. I'm going to see if it will work to do it live or if I'll need to record videos to share. Tonight I'm hosting a virtual family trivia night on Zoom. We're going to play a Kahoot of Bible Trivia. Should be interesting!