Thursday, October 1, 2020

Painting

 As much as I'm annoyed that we have to eat lunch at our desks (to social distance), not needing the white table every day has been super handy! Right now painting supplies are scattered all over the surface... 

A few years ago, someone gave me a bunch of cloth bible covers. My classes have been too big to have enough to paint them for an art project (or I forgot I had them), but this year's class is just right. Tuesday we planned what design we wanted on the covers. Today we began painting. 

Mrs. E lent us the bin of acrylic paint from her 7-8th grade stash. Lots of neat colors to choose from! We barely got started when it was time for PE. I had enough big plastic ziplocks we could save the paint for tomorrow. A few kids kept the paint in their desks, but a lot left the paint trays and the drying bible covers on the table. Like I said, it's handy to be able to leave things out overnight.

For PE we played bombardment. We were going to do badminton, but it's windy and cold outside and it would be somewhat complicated to set up the nets in the gym for a game. But... we had to make teams. Ugh, making teams is so hard when you only have six students. I am horrible at making fair teams. A few weeks ago I made a list of all the ways we could divide the six into two teams to try to make it easier in the moment. Most of them are unfair. Still, depending on the activity, some might be okay. 

I wanted one of the kids to pick which teams we'd use, but none of them wanted the pressure. But then after I announced the teams, they hollered the teams were unfair. Ha! Guess what. You should've picked which teams you wanted when I gave you the chance. The unfair teams made the game go fast and we switched it up for the next round. Every time I announced the new teams, they'd yell, "We already did those teams last time!" meaning the other days we've had PE. I was skeptical. We haven't had that many PE classes! So, today I marked which teams we've tried so they can't tell me, "We did those teams already!" There was one grouping they all thought seemed fair, so I put an F by that row. Hopefully that will make PE go a slight bit better from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment