Thursday, April 22, 2021

Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better

Spring brings the talent show, aka Variety Night, and Mrs. L and I decided we were going to make it happen, covid or no covid. Our plan is to have classes record themselves doing their talent, and then we (ahem, Mrs. L) will compile the videos into one movie to show on the screens at church the evening we choose to show it (or people can watch in their own homes online if they're more comfortable with that). 

My class is doing the Amazing Caterpillar Show skit again, as we've done the past two talent shows. We've been studying skits all week for English in preparation for writing ours. Mrs. L had a fantastic idea that she and I should do a duet of Irvin Berlin's "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better", so she and I practiced that today. It was so fun. We changed some of the lyrics to be more school appropriate and we marked who is going to say which part. Now my homework is to listen to people singing the song so the notes stick in my head better! 

We teachers want to do something as a group as well, but we haven't settled on an idea yet. The best (and only) idea so far is to do a skit about teaching during covid and all the things we have to talk to our kids about. Meh. No good ideas come to mind on that topic; my kids have been pretty good about the regulations. Maybe if I do a quick Google search...

School today was awesome, especially science this afternoon with the 5-6th graders. They were remembering stuff we learned at the beginning of the year, making connections left and right, having deep discussions about serious science stuff. Sigh. It made my heart happy. AND it was our student teacher's first day in class, so she got to witness it. So good.

I also heard from my marine friend yesterday. He sent some pictures and videos from the latest mission they'd done. It was artillery practice in the desert again. He said next week they're going to the Mojave desert for three weeks for a mock war with another unit. My kids wanted to know if they are actually going to fight each other, or if they'll use rubber bullets or something. I asked him, but haven't heard back.

This morning when I checked kids' temperatures, a 7th grade girl commented, "Wow, Miss H, you're looking very bohemian today. It's like, you're 31 now and you're all zen!" The funny thing is, I had been thinking the same thing about my outfit... not the zen part, but the bohemian look. My outfit today: hair down and flowy, dusty red skinny jeans, and a white tunic-y shirt that does have a bohemian vibe. Not my normal style, but it's fun to mix it up sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment