Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Looking Like a Mom

This morning when I walked into the 7-8th graders' room, the first thing one of the 7th grade boys said to me was, "Miss H, you look like a mom... well, your outfit does." Then a different 7th grade boy chimed in, "No, she just looks like a teacher, like she always does." Thanks kids.

Another typical day at school, nothing out of the ordinary. I prepped things for making pinatas; we'll do the first steps tomorrow. I tidied the room a bit and put things away that have been sitting out for a long time. 

Tuesdays are piano days, and our piano teacher Mrs. O shares a birthday with me. Since she won't be here tomorrow, the kids made her a card and Mrs. E gave her some flowers. And Mrs. O gave me a present! It's a cute house lantern thing, partly as a birthday present and partly as a 'I'm so excited you're getting a Habitat house!' present. 

Speaking of the Habitat house... I finally heard back from the USDA granting me the loan. The trouble is, the monthly payments are way higher than my current rent. Add in utilities and it doesn't make financial sense for me to take the loan, unless Habitat would do something to lower the cost of the house. We talked this afternoon and basically Habitat can't do anything about it; I'd have to take the USDA loan for the full amount and then have a second mortgage through Habitat to cover the rest of the costs of building the house. If I live in the house long enough, the second mortgage gets forgiven. So. Now I have to decide if I am actually going to go through with it or not. I could always buy a house not with Habitat for less money so my mortgage payments aren't so high, but then I have to figure that out on my own. Or I could find a roommate to help with mortgage costs. Sigh. Not the easy home-buying experience I had been hoping for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment