Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Egg Cars

Yesterday, I introduced a building experiment for the 5-6th graders: egg cars. They get a budget of $20 to 'buy' supplies to make their car. Then I have a list of supplies they can buy from me, things like paper, string, tape, balloons, straws, etc. I got the idea from a different teacher and I've only done it with one other class. Of course, could I find pictures/videos from that class to use as an example? No. Not until after my kids had left for the day. Oh well, I'll show them tomorrow. 

Today, they wanted to work on their car ideas. Who am I to stand in the way of students excited to learn? So I let them turn a Daily 5 round into an egg car experiment round. While they brainstormed, I did research to see if I could find other examples online. Turns out, I found a few other experiments that look fun too. One is to build a car powered by a balloon (see how far it can go... students get the same materials to build and/or they can build with whatever else they want), the other is to build a protective shield around an egg and then drop it from a high place to see if it cracks. 

My kids want to do them all. The only problem is, there are only 27 days of school left! But we're going to see what we can fit in. I think we can do it if they work on them during read-aloud and use a bit of Daily 5 time. We're going to try!

Can you believe it's already the end of the school year again???

PS- Mr. E told me one of the 7th graders wants to throw me a gigantic birthday party next week because "Miss H turned 30 in isolation last year! She was all alone and couldn't do anything, so we should do something awesome this year." (Last year my birthday was during the quarantine lockdowns and yes, I didn't go anywhere, but Pastor and Mrs. B sent me a lovely meal in a cooler so I didn't have to cook for myself.) 

Mr. E said if this student came up with a plan, they could do it. I'm not sure how I feel about such a fuss being made over me... we'll see if anything comes of her idea. Although, if any of the students were to pull it off, it would be her. Haha, I don't think Mr. E was supposed to tell me though!

No comments:

Post a Comment