Thursday, April 15, 2021

Wacky Day

Today's schedule was thrown off by all the guest speakers we had...

Our first was this morning by a CropLife speaker who talked about pesticide regulations in MN and some agriculture statistics in Nicollet county. 

Then the nurse talked to the 4-5th grade girls and 6-7th grade girls for puberty education. Those talks went long, which shuffled everything else back in the afternoon. There was some rigmarole with the permission slips... they were sent home Tuesday, and all the kids assured me they'd bring them back by Thursday, except a handful forgot. 

The boys were no big deal since they're puberty talk isn't for another two weeks, but two girls forgot, which meant we either had to postpone, or find some way for the parents to give us written confirmation besides via the permission note. One 7th grader texted her mom. I thought the 4-5th boys should just go today since they had their slips in, but Mr. D was pretty set on the 4th grade girls going today since they were so geared up for it. So, I caved and messaged the mom of the 5th grader who forgot her sheet. 

She and I got into a discussion on whether the videos were the old ones that had been previewed by both of us, or if with a new nurse there were new videos. Oops, I probably should've thought of that sooner. So I emailed the nurse. New videos, but no propaganda. And she assured me that she'd be keeping it to the hygiene and changing bodies (but wait until marriage for anything else). Whew. But now the mom and I are on a hunt for better puberty videos that are Christian based. There are a couple places I'm checking, but if you know of anything, give me a heads up!

The other speaker was in 7-8th grade, a friend of mine who's been to Africa. He had a poll involved in his presentation, which was neat. He had questions in his slideshow for the kids to answer anonymously, and it was interesting to hear what they said. It was also a way for him to hear their questions without getting overwhelmed by talking. The intro question was, "How old do you think I am?" Most guessed 35. Only one guessed right, 29. The other questions were to help them make connections between their lives and life in Africa. There was one other unrelated question though, "What is your favorite thing about Ms. H?" Some kids put "I don't know." Others wrote "no homework" or "kahoot", and a few put some actual nice things about me. One girl's answer didn't pop up, but she told me what she said. Something along the lines of, "She's the sweetest thing ever and is so nice and helpful..." The 5-6th graders were disappointed to miss such an exciting speaker, so I'm going to see if he'll do a mini-talk for them in May sometime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment