Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Earthquakes

The 7-8th graders learned about earthquakes today. They were super into it; it was great. A lot of them asked questions about things we were going to learn, like, five minutes from now. It happened at least three times during our half an hour class. During study hall, we read more of our read-aloud book. It took a while to get into it since it's been so long since we've read. The story is right at the climax, but things are happening slowly. They like it, but they're not riveted.

The 5-6th graders, on the other hand, are on the edge of their seats with our latest book! Me too, since I haven't read it before. Gah, I want to read ahead so bad! My eyes keep flicking to the next page, or I read things I shouldn't when I'm checking where the chapter ends. It's funny because if I pause too long, my kids are like, "Miss H... are you reading ahead? Stop right now!" 

The good news is, we might finish the book tomorrow. Only 40 pages left! It's been a quick read so far, so 40 pages is probably doable. And if not, they're willing to barter rounds away for more read-aloud. And since I'm sucked in, I go along with it, the stinkers. This is the only book I've ever been tempted to read ahead on (that I've read aloud without having read before). In case you're wondering, the book is Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix.

No comments:

Post a Comment