Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Sticky Candles

Holy cow, I just looked in the mirror and my hair is sticking up all over the place in my clipped up bun! Normally, eh, such is life, but tonight is the first home basketball game. Oh well. There are worse things to be known for besides crazy hair. 

My hand are sticky too, and so is the lab table. We made candles this afternoon. It was a bit impromptu... I got out the Christmas decorations this morning and saw the leftover wax from the Christmas program candles, plus some other candles I'm tired of storing. It was going to be just a Miss H project, but then I found the Christmas crayon molds and a few other small candles and thought, oh why not make it into an art/present project?

So the wax melted all day. I have a portable burner and a coffee can I've used in the past to melt wax. There's a heating plate that worked to melt the smaller candles down. Once they were all liquid, I added the lighter colored wax to the main coffee can. After math, we skipped history and did art/stem with wax for the rest of the day (minus 15 minutes for recess at the way end).

They actually did pretty good with minimal drips. The lab table still has a bunch of spots that need scraping. And the burner is wax spotted now too. A student volunteered to scrape them off tomorrow morning. They had a great time making colored layers in their containers with other melted candles , scraping crayons in their molds to make it even more colorful. 

I still can't smell much; everything is faint. So it was kind of a bad time to be working with lots of scents. I couldn't tell if it smelled good or not! My kids assured me, yes, the candles mixed together smell good. Now every time I walk in my room I catch a whiff of... something fragrant. 

Things are moving along with the Christmas program too! Mrs. L and I made the seating chart and I typed up the bulletin outline and thank you list. Lots of moving parts to pulling off a Christmas program!

No comments:

Post a Comment