Friday, April 8, 2022

Apples

I am unofficially the class unwanted food vacuum. It started a few months ago with sub-standard bananas at lunch. I like ripe bananas and don't like seeing food go in the garbage, so I volunteered to take anyone's unwanted banana. The bananas piled up. All right, breakfast for the week! Joe gets their unwanted lettuce and a few carrots every now and then. Uneaten fresh broccoli and pineapple have also made it into my lunch. 

This week is apples. So many uneaten ones have lain around our classroom for what seems like weeks. Someone asked me if I wanted theirs and I said sure. When I told them I turn them into dried apples, they were thrilled and want me to bring some for the class. So I will do that sometime. Yesterday they gave me three more apples, and this morning one girl got an apple off the breakfast cart specifically to give to me. 

Making the dried apples actually goes pretty quick. I don't mind peels, so I leave them on. Then, I have a handheld apple slicer that cuts the core out and makes little 'breads' (it's like the one that cuts an apple into wedges). Dip them in kombucha, place them on the dehydrator tray overnight, and voila! Dried apples in the morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment