Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Crazy Town

Whew!  I could use a few days off... but it's only Hump Day (my 5th graders kept repeating this fact for about a half an hour this afternoon).  The weather must be changing because it has been crazy these past few days.

Yesterday, I had volleyball practice, followed by a PTL meeting, with a plan to play sand volleyball afterwards.  PTL was full of drama.  Plans for our annual Pork Chop Dinner neglected to include someone who has diligently worked for the dinner many, many years (and was already working on this year's dinner).  After a very tense moment (or two), the situation got back on track and we were able to move forward with everyone on board. 

One of my student's parents wanted to talk after the meeting, and I had just enough time before volleyball... until we talked too long and I was going to be late.  Thankfully the team scheduled for the game before us hadn't finished playing, so I was right on time.  Another player showed up even later than I did, and it turns out she and I both went to Bethany around the same time.  I don't think she recognized me (or if she did, she didn't say).  But we're both going to the volleyball tournament on Saturday, so maybe it will come up in conversation then.

After the game, I caught up on my pile of correcting to do and fell into bed.

Today my class started the program Reading Eggs.  It's great!  They are all super excited to start making their avatar and decorate their apartments in Reading Egg land.  A few of them bought pets right away.  One 5th grader got two!  There were gasps of amazement when they saw the variety of pets available: dogs, cats, dragons, unicorns... the list goes on and on.  I can't wait to see what else they discover as they play/learn!

Once again, I had technology issues.  I still can't find my electric piano cord; the IT guys are just going to order me another one.  But who knows how long that will take.  My projector went wacky when I was trying to teach the 7th and 8th graders about mineral formations.  The screen was off center, so half the slide was cut off.  I tried moving the projector.  That didn't help.  I tried reopening the powerpoint.  That didn't work.  It turns out all I had to do was turn off the projector and turn it back on again.  Sigh.  The one thing I didn't try.  Of course, not being able to read the words caused the students to go crazy.  It was the worst day of the school year (behavior-wise) for these kids.  The fifth graders were really chatty too! 

Thank the Lord we're getting some cooler weather.  Hopefully tomorrow I won't have to turn on my air conditioner.  We have a volleyball game in Faribault for A squad, and some of the older B squad girls.  I'm hitching a ride over with the head coach so I don't have to drive all that way by myself.  One of my students has a birthday tomorrow.  She's been asking all week if we can have a surprise party for her... I asked if she knew about it, would it still be a surprise?  She never answered me.  So I don't know what to do.  Last year I didn't do anything for birthdays, but that's not to say this year can't be different.  I really don't want to do something extravagant.  I'm thinking maybe we'll take class time to do a dancing brain break or something like that.  Maybe something will come to me overnight...

No comments:

Post a Comment