Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Socks with Sandals

One story from last week I forgot to mention... (and it is worth mentioning) happened while we were getting ready for the buoyancy lab. 

I had a fish tank and a big, clear tub that needed to be filled with water, so I recruited the 5th graders.  They each got an ice cream pail, filled it in the bathroom, and trotted it back to our room.  We had a pretty steady stream going.  Then the 1st and 2nd graders headed to lunch.  One boy asked a 5th grader, "What's all the water for?"  Her reply, "The closet started on fire when we did an experiment, so we have to put it out."

A few minutes later, I went in the hall to check on our brigade and the same 2nd grader asked me if there really was a fire in our classroom.  I must've looked pretty confused, but I said we needed the water for a science project later on.  Only when I got back to the room did the 5th grader explain what she said to the 2nd grader.

Another funny instance happened during religion today.  We somehow got on the topic of marriage and/or online dating.  One of my students' parents is getting married next month (they met through an online dating site), of course they all knew that and wanted to remind everyone else of the fact.  But the boy who got the first word in was a little confused.  He said, "Yeah! They met on ebay!"  Then the kid who's in the family corrected him, "actually, it was christianmingle."

My final funny story of the day happened at recess.  The boys all wanted to play kickball.  Half the girls weren't wearing appropriate kickball footwear (myself included).  My students know I keep a pair of sandal-ish shoes under my desk to change into for recess, so they tried to convince me to change into them.  "But I'm wearing socks!"  was my excuse.  They immediately said, "So? Then your feet will be warm!"  Well if they're not going to criticize my fashion, I may as well use proper footwear.  And they were right, my feet were really warm and comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment