Monday, September 9, 2013

Warming hearts... and classrooms

Oh my 5th graders make me smile!  One of the boys had borrowed the movie Epic from the Bookmobile last week.  I mentioned that I wanted to watch it, and he said maybe I could have it after he was done.  Today he brought it into school and asked if I was going to take it home to watch it.  A little confused, I said I was going to wait until Thursday and check it out on my card.  He told me, "Miss H., you can just take it now and watch it at home.  That way you don't have to wait to see it!"  So cute! 

This same student always tells me his plan for everything.  This year, students can earn prizes by reading books in certain genres to get a BINGO on a bingo card.  Every day, he tells me his new plan for which books he's going to read so he can get all five across.  "First I'm going to read this book, and then once I finish, I'm going to read that book.  Or maybe I'll read this other one so I can cross off..." and so on and so forth.  At least he's enthusiastic about reading!

But all their warm hearts bring lots of heat in the classroom, especially on days like today.  It was another steamy 93 degrees this afternoon.  I had the AC cranked all the way down to 70 since I got here this morning.  It was comfortable in the morning, but after lunch, all the sweaty bodies got it up to 79 in a half an hour.

In other news, the 5th graders learned how to take notes today.  We didn't get through nearly enough of the powerpoint on plants, but it's a skill they do need to learn.  So we'll keep plugging away.

No comments:

Post a Comment