Tuesday, December 3, 2013

As expected...

Today was a much better day, as expected. 

We had a game day in 2nd grade math. Don't worry, they were educational games.  They finally got to their 15 tallies and earned a reward.  We split into two groups and played the story dice game and the Neverending Story game.  Both games are played the same way; each person gets a pile of cards/dice and players take turn making up a story by looking at the pictures.  The two kids I was playing with were really into it They ended up staying a little longer in my room than they were supposed to.  But that's okay.

We also did reading buddies with the kindergartners.  They start out so enthusiastic, but they don't have much staying power.  One of the 5th grade boys complained that his two buddies stopped paying attention to him.  I think I need to keep a better eye on them and send them back once they start getting distracted.  It would also help for them to sit in a better spot.  So next time, I'm going to choose their seats for them.

This afternoon, we decorated the classroom for Christmas.  We got the tree out and plugged it in, strewing it with tinsel galore.  I don't think we even need more ornaments.  The tinsel blows in the breeze whenever anyone walks by and it reflects the lights.  It makes our room look so cozy when the lights are off!

Someone donated a nativity scene to school and no one else has room for it, so it ended up in my room.  There were tons of little pieces to unwrap and hang on a mini-tree that sticks up from behind the main scene. The tree is covered in angels and the rest of the figurines surround Mary and baby Jesus in the center.  We couldn't figure out which guy was supposed to be Joseph, so we just guessed.  And there wasn't a map of where to put the other figures, so we guessed on those ones too.  Lots of guessing going on.  But it turned out really cool!

One of the boys took charge of an even tinier tree.  He found the smallest ornaments and hung them on the branches.  Then he proudly found a spot for it at the front of the room.  It reminds me a bit of the Charlie Brown Christmas tree.  :)  I might have to take a picture to put on here.

Well, the first boy's basketball game is going on in the gym.  I should probably stop in and watch my kids play.  There's a storm coming tonight, so I'm debating whether I want to go to New Ulm tonight or tomorrow night for groceries/library.  Hmm... Advent service tomorrow night, but potential snowstorm.  Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment