Monday, December 16, 2013

Caution: Falling Coconuts!

At lunch today the conversation was all about coconuts.  No idea how we got on that topic, but we did. 

Someone mentioned that in Hawaii more people die from falling coconuts than they do from shark attacks.  Then another kid jumped in, "Yeah!  That's why they have signs that say 'Beware: Falling Coconuts!  Look out or you will die!' okay, I made that last part up, but I think they do have signs there."  That prompted the discussion of whether it would be better to die from a coconut falling on your head or to have a shark kill you.  The general consensus was that a coconut would be better.

Our first program practice was at church today.  As expected, everyone was super loud and keyed up.  I could practically feel the energy bouncing around the room.  Mrs. M asked for two "strapping young men, big and strong ones" to carry the manger to the center of the church.  Of course the smallest kid in my class (one who is the same height/size as some of the 1st graders) had his hand waving around in the air.  He didn't get picked. 

While doing research on the solar system, one of the boys found an article announcing that China was going to launch its first lunar mission.  And they did.  On Saturday.  We found a video of the Chinese people talking about the launch and how people in China felt about it.  That was pretty cool. 

Another interesting conversation we had today was about the treatment of Christians in China.  I am a little fuzzy on details, so I told my kids I'd email a friend who is teaching English there and see what the scoop is.  Thankfully I wrote a note, or I would've forgotten many times.  Speaking of which... I should do that now before I forget...

No comments:

Post a Comment