Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Frog

At noon recess, the football boys found a frog.  I saw them out on the football field, making their way toward me cupping something in their hands.  Ploop! The frog slipped to the ground.  And the 4-square girls screamed.  Apparently they hate frogs.  I don't know what ended up happening to it.  One girl said she kicked it and it was dead, but I don't know if I believe her.  The last I saw of it, it was hopping away from all the noisy kids. 


Turns out there were a few of my kiddos who hadn't actually started their NaNos yet.  Well, they started typing, but it was just a random story and not actually the stuff they'd prepared last week.  I don't get it.  We spent so much time developing the characters and coming up with ideas of what would happen to them, and then when it comes time to write, they don't even write about it!  Maybe I should make a more obvious connection between those pieces of paper/characters and the start of their story.  But, I got those two students squared away and as far as I know they're bustling along in their stories.  It's so great to have them call me over and say, "Miss H, look how many words I have! I'm already up to [insert big number here]."  Even my reluctant writer wrote 250 words just today!  Hopefully he can keep up the pacing.  Now our greatest trouble is finding enough computers for everyone to use.  There are two Daily 5 rounds they can work on their stories.  But 15 kids with only 6 computers makes it a little tricky.  So far they've been good about switching rounds so everyone can have a turn on the computer. 


I only have one student without a parent teacher conference time.  And I only have one slot left from 3:15-7:30 (conference times are 15 minutes).  Whew! Next Thursday is going to be a whirlwind day!  And in between now and then I need to enter grades, get report cards ready, and gather all the stuff to talk to parents about.  I kinda forgot how much goes into these conferences. 


I'd like to put my grades in the grade book before Friday, but I don't think I'll have time.  Tomorrow after school we have a faculty meeting, and then Ivy has an art gallery open house thing (for her internship) in Mankato from 5-7.  Mr. E promised to keep the meeting short so I could get out of school fast!  Tack on correcting spelling papers and NaNo-ing and the exercise book I'm editing, it's going to be a full night!

No comments:

Post a Comment