Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The Bus Got Stuck

It was quite quiet this morning when I got to school.  The snow and slightly foggy air muffled usual sounds, and no one stopped in to chat before school started.  It seemed the quiet lasted longer than normal, and when I looked at the clock, it was already 8:00!  Typically, the Nicollet bus drops kids off by 7:55... hmm... that's odd. 8:05...STILL no kids.  Finally around 8:10 the Nicollet bus arrived with the New Ulm bus following a few minutes later.  What had happened to make them so late? Their bus got stuck in the ditch.  Oops.  The kids were so excited about it, the bloodthirsty savages.


We had our first day back to Writer's Workshop.  I floundered a little, trying to remember how that all worked, since the last time we'd done it was October.  The kids were all like, "We know Miss H, we know how to do it!" [just let us work already!]  Some of them started some neat new stories.  One girl is writing a picture book "when dinosaurs try to paint" and another is writing about a zebra and a lion fighting over a rock (it's a magic rock).  Most of the others are working on their pen pal letters.  Some are having difficulties deciding what to put in the letter.  The computers were slow to let the kids log on (slow as in 15-20 minutes slow), so there was a lot of dinking around waiting.


Basketball update: the girls got creamed... those Janesville girls are just so tall!  The boys won their game.  Man, the Janesville boys play rough!  I still recognize some of my old students from student teaching.  They're in 7th grade I think.  A few recognize me, though none of them talked to me this time.  My current kiddos had practice again tonight.  The latest buzz was that the mom who's watching them at practice brought supper (usually it's just a small snack).  This mom brought: sloppy joes, chips, pickles, cracker bars... the whole shebang!  She even brought one of the extra cracker bars down to me as a treat.  Aww! So thoughtful. 


Tonight's plans: visit the library and restock my book supply, and Bible Study.  Still haven't put up my Christmas tree... maybe that's a job for tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment