Friday, September 30, 2016

Smells Like Fall

Mmm, it smells so good outside! The farmers have been combining the corn across the road from school so the smell of harvest is in the air.  Sigh.  Crisp and rustley.  I think fall is my favorite season.

Word on the street (from the farming boys in my class) is that yields are way up this year.  People around here are combining corn and have been getting around 220ish bushels per acre on fields that normally get around 190 or so.

Today was kind of a catch up day for us.  My kiddos had many things they hadn't handed in or had to fix/redo or assignments due today, so we ended Daily 5 early and did a "ketchup" round.  They got a chuckle out of that one.  The afternoon was a little laid back too.  The 7-8th graders set up tables in the gym over noon recess for Monday's VIP day, so my class got a little extra recess until everything was set up.  Then the 7th and 8th graders just corrected their spelling books and took their spelling tests... no time for anything else in the hour I had them in my room.  When my class got back from math we had art.  They had two projects to work on: fire posters (for Fire Prevention Week) and their tissue paper collages.  Surprisingly, quite a few of them finished both! And were getting up to some mischief.  So I had them clean out their desks too.

The day ended with recess, and since the 7th and 8th graders didn't get noon recess (they'd been setting tables up), Mr. E let them come out for recess with my class.  They played a huge game of GaGa Ball.

Now the week is over and it's time for me to pack up and get out of here! I think I'll actually make my 5:00 goal tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment