Friday, September 9, 2016

Tic Tac Toe Relays

Woohoo! First Friday of the year! We made it through the first week of school! Not that I had any doubts of course, but it's still fun to celebrate.

My class has started settling into our routine.  The 6th graders remember a lot from last year and the 5th graders are picking things up fast.  Everyone said memory work on time, everyone turned their spelling in on time, and everyone turned in handwriting on time.  Excellent.  Even the 7th and 8th graders had everything done on time.  I hope we can keep it up!

I remembered a funny story from volleyball practice yesterday... one little girl came up to me (4th grade) and said her chest hurt when she bumped the ball.  I had her stretch and go back to the drill, but a few minutes later she came back and said it still hurt.  Well, send her home or keep her playing? She didn't want to go home, just wanted to sit on the bleachers.  After a while, I stopped back over to see if she wanted to play again, but no, she wanted to keep sitting.  She still didn't want to call her mom, which I kind of thought was weird.  I mean, she's at practice to practice, right? So why be bored watching when you could go home?

I figured her back was probably just out of alignment and once it was popped back into place, she'd be all right.  But messing with backs is tricky business, one I don't feel comfortable doing, so I told the girl if her chest still hurt when she got home, she should tell her mom.  She didn't want to do that either (her mom is a nurse).

Then she asked a question that put all the pieces together... "Miss H, can you have surgery on your chest?" When I answered affirmatively, her eyes got big and worried.  "But don't worry, you're too young; most of the people who need surgery are older."  She was still worried.  And didn't want to tell her mom about her chest hurting.  "I don't want to tell my mom! She'll make me have surgery!"

Aha... light bulb!  "You don't need surgery, your back is just a little bunched up.  It needs to get popped back into place." And then came an explanation of chiropractors and spines, etc. and after that she was a little calmer.  Today she stopped me in the hallway to say her mom popped her back last night and she's all better.  Whew!

At the end of the day today we did an all-school activity.  First we signed yearbooks, then we played relays, then we ate Popsicles, and then we played Gaga Ball (it was dry enough, yay!).  Mr. D lead one of the relays... use a flyswatter to swat a balloon past the black line and back to your team.  Mine was a bit more complicated. It's called the "tic tac toe relay" and you play it with hula hoops and scarves for a tic tac toe board.  Here's a video:

 We set up two hula hoop "boards" in the middle of the gym so four teams could play at once (two games at a time).  They had a blast!  There were quite a few kids per team, so not everyone got to put a scarf down each time, but we played more than once so everyone at least got a few turns.  When they weren't running, they were cheering on their teammates.  There's definitely some strategy involved in addition to speed!

Well, I suppose it's time to close for the week.  I still have a few things to do before I make my library run for the week.  Tonight my plan is to get my lessons ready for next week and bake cookies.  Tomorrow late morning/early afternoon is our sand volleyball tournament. I'm supposed to bring dessert for our team.  I might make brownies tomorrow morning too. We'll see.  Then Saturday afternoon, my farmer and I will go to Miss N's wedding.  Sunday our plan is to go to his parent's early church service before heading to the Clay County Fair.  Boy this weekend is busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment