Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Speakers from Around the World

I'm super excited for geography...

Two years ago, when I last taught this subject, I had a guest speaker for each continent (except Oceania...time slipped away from me for that continent).  Most of my speakers were friends/schoolmates who'd studied abroad.  Now all those people have gotten jobs/moved away, and even if they could come, it's been a while since they've been to those places, so the stories and information is not fresh.

Mrs. E has been working on getting a piano teacher to replace Miss N.  She contacted MLC to find out if they had a teacher/music student who'd be interested in teaching our kiddos... and she found one! Since she had such good luck with that, I thought I'd give it a try.

This morning I emailed both MLC and BLC's study abroad coordinators to see if they could recommend guest speakers and I heard back from MLC within a few hours!  The coordinator gave me a list of countries they have represented and it sounds like I'll have all the continents covered except Oceania.  But that continent is last on the list, so I have time to check around. And maybe BLC will have someone to fit the bill.  Our first speaker will actually be two people, one from Canada and the other from St. Luci (an island in the Bahamas).  Woo! I can't wait!  The best part is, this lady will coordinate between the students, so I don't have to scramble!

Volleyball update: our B team won the match (2-1) and our A team lost the match by two points in overtime (1-2).

No comments:

Post a Comment